Thursday, August 13, 2015

Days 23 - 24 - Sometimes I Listen to People

I decided to change my tactic on these cabinets. For the most part, I think it was the right idea.

Instead of sanding, I decided to strip the cabinets. More mess, but at least the risk of lead paint induced brain damage (or whatever) is reduced. Plus, I wanted my friends to stop worrying! Thanks to those of you that kept telling me... chemicals would be better in this case. So it took me a day to really listen, but HEY! I listened.

However, I really wish I had listened earlier. Seriously. Three layers of paint later, and I'm sure countless saved hours, I hit wood. But not "real" wood. It's a very light oak veneer. Which sadly is not in very good condition. It is, however, much easier to strip paint off of veneer. Who knew! It's a more solid base, I guess. I never once gouged the wood. By the last layer, it was coming off with ease.

I managed to get 1/2 the kitchen cabinets stripped and sanded. The interesting thing about my little house is the craftsmanship. Maybe it's not just my house, but the era. Even the base of these cabinets are lined with oak flooring/small planks. And the molding/trim around the upper windows and lower doors is lined with a red paint. I'm sure it was pretty back in the day. Although judging on the linoleum we took out, I'm not too sure.

One bad thing over the course of these two days....we had heavy rains. And apparently I'm going to have to move some more dirt, or eventually get some professional grading done. There was a little bit of water in the basement. I know it happens. I know I need gutter work. But it was so disheartening to see. Kinda like dollar signs flying outta my grasp. I took this on, I knew the risks, but that basement may be the death of my budget. If not my sanity.

Here's some pics of the cabinets. I'm really rather proud of myself!

2 of 8 after, plus a lower door

2 of 8 drawers before
Uppers after sanding

Uppers after


All but the baseboard is done


gooey mess

Upper doors after

The last half to go



No comments:

Post a Comment