Thursday, August 6, 2015

Day 20 - Behind Schedule

Today was the day it sort of hit me in the face...I was slightly behind schedule (me, not the contractors!) and potentially over budget.

Mind you, I was only over on quotes. So I hadn't actually SPENT any money yet. But still. I was bummed. My "caviar tastes on a beer budget" were catching up with me. Drat.

Today was also the day that I met with the electrician for the placement of the outlets and lights in the attic. You can tell a good electrician by the notations he makes on the boards. Weird hieroglyphic like things that only electricians know. So strange.

Anyhow, he liked my ideas for the placement of outlets/switches. And we agreed on most everything. He thought for sure I was a "can light" kinda girl (I am not) and was pleased when I gave the big negative on can lights. My rationale (which is probably outdated) is that they are hot. And it's an attic. I don't need a spot light on my bed. I need to be able to enjoy my space, and soft lighting through strategically placed lamps will suit my purpose. He did, however, give me a little bonus. He placed the switch for the outside light (motion light on the driveway) at the top of the stairs. That way, if I was concerned about anything outside, I could turn the light on while still upstairs. I thought that was pretty cool. So I like John. 

I'm going to have almost 10 foot ceilings at the tallest point, where the collar ties will be placed. So I'm putting in a ceiling fan. I still have to decide on my lights in the bathroom, although I'm pretty sure I've made that (overpriced) decision.

Feeling rather good about things, I should have known it would be short lived. The plumber was ready to rough in the shower, but...he was waiting on an inspection at another location. I thought I had gotten a reprieve from making decisions.  Nope, not so much. It appears that because I've been stalling on the vanity decision, I may have unwittingly delayed the bathroom installation. While that choice was still up in the air, the tile had to be picked out. I got the "get on it" talk. The only saving item was that the plumber was waiting to finish up the other location, but I could potentially be pushing back my own work. Bad homeowner. I'm back on the hunt from a vanity this weekend. Sigh...And floor tile.

I started the sanding of the kitchen cabinets. That's kinda fun and mindless. And tedious. I
"During"
 did impress myself by removing a few layers of paint, made easier by the fact that the previous owners did NOT prep the old surface at all. Only being able to work on these a few hours a night may not be enough to keep up the pace. So I'll probably change tactics this weekend, sand the lower cabinets so that IF the counter tops need to be placed, I'll have that at least sanded and primed. But again... I haven't
Obviously "the before"
even picked out a color. Well, I have, but I haven't made my final decision. It's on the "List".



One step forward, a couple to the side. Nothing backwards just yet. But at least it's just my fault. I can handle being angry with myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment