Sunday, August 2, 2015

Day 10 - Dreaming of the Day the Windows Open

It's time to get down to "projects".  This is the ever growing list of things that I am going to be doing on my own. No contractor help, unless it's really REALLY beyond my abilities. I also have a list that I know will require help and are items not included in my Renovation loan. I am eager to start the little things I know I can do. And hope like hell they don't turn into big things that I have to hire out.

It's still unbearably hot in the house. Even though it's a good 10 degrees cooler than it is outside, it's miserable. I'm pretty sure the neighbors think my fashion sense revolves around my colorful dew rags. It's a thing...

Today I've decided to tackle windows. Not cleaning them. Actually getting them open. As I've mentioned, there's only 2 windows in the whole house that are painted (the kitchen windows) and they are open. I'm pretty sure I have 21 windows on the main floor. Sometimes I have 20, sometimes I have 22...it's really kinda fun being me! At any rate, so far, I can only open 7 windows. That's like 30%. Some days I'm luckier than others and I find a few that have decided to come lose. But then I can't get them closed because the weights are bound up, or the rope is kinked, or something. The struggle is real, folks. I have one window that I can open, but the aluminum clad storms that someone put on (I'd like to beat that someone) don't open. Those damn things get HOT in direct sun light too, by the way. 

I remember, as a kid, working with my dad to re-glaze windows in our house (Built in 1937, I think). I don't remember how old I was, but I was clearly old enough to remember that it was regular, important maintenance. I called my dad to get a better understanding of how to get the sash windows out in order to scrap and putty and paint. I had friends send me YouTube links on how to get sash windows out. I read articles on sash window renovations. Ask me how many sash windows I got out...


ZERO. Not a single one.

I washed and scrapped the paint out of the window sills on the 7 that I could get open. I have a bit more to do before I can begin to repaint. And taking the windows OUT would be a much better way of doing this. But it is one project I could do on my own. Until I killed my ShopVac. I think it just got overheated, like me. So I called it a day. There are no pictures of this little venture because, honestly, I don't feel like I accomplished much.

No comments:

Post a Comment