Sunday, August 2, 2015

Day 15 - RIP Mold, Hello A/C

This is one of the milestone days I've been waiting for since the day I signed the paperwork on my sink. 

I hefted 2 couches and a big ass TV out of the moldy basement (with help!) just so this day could happen.

And finally, I am mold free and can turn on the A/C. If I knew, with any amount of certainty, that the A/C worked. 

Embarrassing factoid #1. I was never able to have the A/C inspected in May when all the inspections took place because it was 55 degrees or colder for a WHOLE WEEK.  IN MAY! So I went into this with my fingers crossed that the unit still worked. It's only 10 years old. The furnace worked. What could possibly be wrong...

I had every finger and every toe crossed.

Thanks to Jenn and Mario for saving me copious amounts of money. Mario arrived with tools and a hose, and promptly went to full "I AM MAN" mode, cleaning out the ex-changer. And saying things like "I'm not getting the heat exchange ratio I want" and other stuff that totally made NO SENSE to me. But he turned it on, it was quiet and it dropped 5 degrees in the house within 20 minutes. I was ecstatic!

I also bought a dehumidifier for the basement. I know the A/C is on, but I thought this was a better option than relying solely upon A/C for airflow. I bought it, carried it in (after the guy who put it in my car asked if my husband would be able to lift it for me...um...NO!) and set it up, complete with a garden hose from the garage. I'm pretty bad ass when I want to be!

Also, miraculously, the shop vac started working again. I gave Mario credit for that as well. He looked at it and it magically decided to fix itself. That's just money saved, right there!

1 comment:

  1. Doesn't it piss you off when something works when the right person LOOKS at it?

    ReplyDelete