Wednesday, July 22, 2015

The day the sink became mine!

I know, rationally, that no one should buy a house because of a sink. Yet, I did.

In October of 2014, I saw a listing for a house I immediately wanted.  And I mean, immediately! I called the listing agent as I drove past the house and was told the house was in pending status. I was so sad. For months I watched this house sit; the grass growing taller, the bushes surrounding the house growing larger. I stalked it on Zillow. And yet, no one moved in. No activity was seen. Until December 31st when a new realtor sign showed up on the lawn.

I didn't make it 2 blocks down the road and I was calling my realtor.  And by January 2nd, I was in that house, looking at that sink and trying to decide what to do. And by January 18th, I had made my offer hoping that I was doing right by this little house.  And by me.

I was making a commitment to Omaha and a commitment to this house. It was a huge decision.

Did I mention it was a short sale? I'm not very good at being patient. 

But on July 17th, almost 6 months to the day, I bought my sink. And a house that really deserves to shine. This could be a very humbling experience.

My goal here, while channeling my inner Nicole Curtis, is to share my renovation and my daily activity, to capture every piece of this experience. My accomplishments (and potential failures), the activity of my construction crew and the input from my friends and coworkers will all be part of the fun, the challenge of making a home and writing a blog. Because I have to make this fun, or I may lose my mind.  The only saving grace is that I'm not living in the house while I try to revive it. That would be insane.

No comments:

Post a Comment