Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Days 38 thru 41 - Challenge Laid Down

Time flies when you're as busy as a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. And honestly, I feel like I have been beat up several different ways. I'm about 10 days behind on this blog (SORRY!), so I'm going to update this in chunks, because honestly, one big post just won't do it justice.

Day 38, for reference, is Sunday, August 23rd. I feel like it was a month ago, not just a little over 2 weeks. But here's the breakdown.

Day 38:

I finally finished priming the cabinet doors and framing. 2 coats, both sides of the doors. Major progress

I also, with the help of Cody, got some more "trash" out of the attic.  Namely a queen size mattress and box springs. Made me realize that I do NOT want to move my own stuff when the time comes. The attic, while super cool, is not really conducive to moving furniture.

Day 39: 

I had a walk through with Mike. Which just added to my "to do" list. As expected. Remember way back when I said "I don't want to be the homeowner that holds up this project"? Yeah, well. I was about to realize that I was that homeowner. And I was on the verge of pushing back my potential move in date. 

As Mike and I were finalizing things like the window in the bathroom, and the repairs of my closets (where they ran the HVAC, electrical and plumbing), he told me where I stood.


PAINT THE ROOMS ON THE FIRST FLOOR NOW OR YOU'LL BE PAYING RENT IN OCTOBER!

Uh, what?

I believe Mike's exact words were..."If I were running this project 100% (meaning that I am a bit controlling, is how I heard it), I would paint these rooms before the floors are sanded, and have everything moved out of the first floor by middle of next week"

Uh, what the what?! Is that a suggestion or are you telling me what to do?!?!

He wasn't kidding. I did see his point. But talk about panic at the disco. I thought I was making good time. I thought I had the timeline down. I thought I HAD TIME.

I was so wrong. 

So with that in mind, I basically put out an APB on any one willing and able to help me paint the following weekend. Because Wednesday before Labor Day weekend is my official cut off. No ifs, ands or buts.  Talk about a stressful walk through....

Day 40:

I took this evening after work to pick out colors for the marathon painting session on which I was about to embark. I dreaded this. Just absolutely dreaded it. But with the help (and patience) of Cody's wife, Bridget, I made some pretty good decisions (although I'm not completely thrilled now that it's on the walls). I still have to decide on the master suite and master bathroom. But I do have a little time for that because, well, someone else is painting that! That's the upside.

Day 41:

We failed the plumbing inspection but it's fixable and not a huge issue.  But let me tell you... the first time you see that "red tag" that can't leave the premises, you sort of freak out. I freaked out (sorry Mike, I'll make it up to you).

I also found out that the kitchen sink is backing up in to the stationary tub. This is not a good sign. But like everything else, sort of expected and can (for the right price) be fixed. I just haven't gotten that estimate yet.

I finished putting the second coat of paint on the cabinets (I'm not really sure which day I put the first coat on, to be honest... I didn't write that down).

I also cleaned up the hardware (I have no idea if this is original or not, but it cleaned up very well). The hardware looks very "art deco" to me. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, or if it's not original to the house. I like it though!

No comments:

Post a Comment