Monday, September 7, 2015

Day 46 thru 49 - The Cabinet Reveal (Among Other Things)

Since we are now post "tape removal" from the painting marathon, I'm pretty sure things are going to start moving pretty quickly.

And to that end... I present "the cabinets". The culmination of my weekends, evenings and stress for the past month. I'm pretty damn proud. I also learned a lot in this process.

Here's the before of the cabinets. Missing handles, crappy paint job. Very unappealing. The entire kitchen is white. It felt so sterile. It's not a small kitchen, but the white made it seem... something (or nothing). So I chose cream and green as my cabinet colors, with a black granite that has a green/gold speckling in it. 




Here is the "almost" finished product. These "pre-installation" pictures give an idea of where my own personal design is going. The backsplash (which is currently the old linoleum from the floors, as seen above) will be a green glass subway tile. Not exactly sure when that is going to be installed, but pretty soon, as things seem to be moving quickly. The cream cabinets up top (which the insides shelves still need to be washed/painted/something), needed to be lighter, in my opinion, to make the room look larger. I also think cabinets that are different colors are kinda... cool. In the picture to the left, the floors aren't finished (and neither is the bottom of the cabinets because I didn't want to waste time painting something that could be damaged by the floors being refinished) but the color of the wood definitely compliments the room. Super excited about that! I still need to paint the pantry door. And I accidentally put the handles on the larger cabinets on upside down. It happens!

During this week, I also finalized my decision on the shower door for the new master bathroom. We passed the framing inspection and I made a final decision on the the rest of the paint colors (of which I am NOT painting). I have to say, the new Pottery Barn colors out at Sherwin Williams are pretty awesome. But...I'm staying true to the house and not going way outside the color palate of the period. However, I'm staying away from salmon, which was apparently a thing in 1922. It's not my thing.

Another big step forward...Insulation! Part of the issue of renovating an old home, especially an old attic, is the lack of ceiling vents, and venting through the eves. Neither of these are options in my house,without a lot of expense. A lot of cities will approve alternate means of venting with insulation, pretty much grandfathering these reno's by approving certain types of insulation. I chose Icynene (or rather Mike did, but I did research it before agreeing). These old houses don't have ridge vents either, which means conventional insulation wouldn't be as effective. It was a cost and efficiency decision as well.  When I walked in to the attic/office/master suite...I was amazed. It totally changed the look of the room. Incredible. The knee walls will have batt insulation behind them, since I don't plan on using those spaces as storage. I know a lot of people disagree, but I really feel this house has enough storage. A full basement, nice closets. These cubby holes/spaces will be lost space. But I'm OK with it. It's starting to look like a real room!

I've been told that once inspections are completed, things tend to go quite quickly. And it's true. Inspection on Tuesday, insulation on Wednesday. I have a couple things left on my to do left... I better get cracking!


No comments:

Post a Comment