Saturday, September 17, 2016

Making old Tile look... Better

One of the things I decided to keep original was the main floor bathroom. I had the tub re-glazed, but put in a new vanity and toilet. Some things just don't need to be original. I added wainscoting but left the light fixtures and original medicine cabinet. 

I also left the floor. Good, bad or otherwise, I really liked the original tile. But it looked horrible. Grimy and gross. 

So a few weeks ago, I started the arduous and extremely gross job of getting down on my hands and knees and giving the floor a cleaning of a lifetime. I scraped up paint, construction debris and frankly, things even I wouldn't talk about in public. I just...can't even. 

And then last week, it was time to re-grout the tile. I'll be honest, I didn't know what I was getting myself into. But I learned very quickly. And I made mistakes, which I tried to remedy but now know I can't. But my manicure survived!

Here's the lesson I learned: 50+ year old tile, which hasn't been sealed, will absorb the color of the grout (in some spots). I thought I had gotten the grout off in time, but I don't think it really mattered. It was going to absorb the color regardless of what I did. 

First mistake. Only do an area that you can reach. So I waited a little bit to sponge off the entire floor (without the bottom of my feet being completely black...because who doesn't do this barefooted?) Unfortunately there are some individual tiles that now look to have dark gray thumb prints. I waited a week and tried (with some success) to scrub those tiles but I couldn't get them perfect. But again, I'm assuming the floor is over 50. So I'm not being too hard on myself. 



What I learned is that I should have sealed the tile before laying the grout. I think. To be honest, I'm not sure. So I sealed it the next day (after scrubbing) I think it looks good! A little more shiny and clean! 


That's the first pass compared to the rest of the floor. 
Finished product. It looks better. And clean. So so clean!

See the lower right hand corner? Nothing a few well placed floor mats can't cover up, right? But for now (besides touch up paint and refinishing the door) I'm done in the bathroom. Finally!

No comments:

Post a Comment