Monday, March 21, 2016

Starting on the Yard!

Now that the sink is back and basically finished (I need to do paint touch up and the second round of caulking) I somehow decided it was a good idea to take out the bush in the driveway. And I do mean the bush was IN the driveway. A good foot into it. 

I had, once or twice, taken to hacking away at it. But I didn't really make a dent. Just took out some frustrations. Mainly due to scratches on my car! But on this, the first official day of spring, I decided it was time to get outside and take care of some things. And what a difference it made!! 

Before...it sort of made the driveway look trashy (and I found several beer cans and water bottles in that damn thing). It just wasn't very nice. No one could pull all the way into the driveway! Consequently, the north side of the driveway had a rut that got muddy. It's not a narrow driveway, but the bush from hell made if feel that way!

Note the arrows and the awkward parking job


After! I realize I need to get the rest of the weeds out, but this initial swipe at it makes it that more open. It's incredible!!


I've come to realize that when the original owners planted the shrubbery, they really didn't take into account that these shrubs and bushes grew...and got bigger unless maintained! Everything is planted so close to the house (or the driveway in this case). The last owners clearly didn't give a crap about the house OR the exterior, as seen in my blog from the beginning. Everything is over grown. To the point where I think the house still looks abandoned! Except the grass is "normal" height.


But I'm working on that. And with the help of friends, the hacking project went relatively smoothly until I realized...I need to borrow a truck. No way I'm cutting this up to put it in yard bags!! There are some things that just take too much time.

After the other shrubs bloom (viburnum and Korean lilac) I'll be taking those down (or out) as well. The lily's are starting to pop up. I wish I had some daffodils. Maybe some tullips. But that can all wait until next year. I'm sort of excited to see if my raspberry's come up again (I hacked those to the ground based on an article I read). So the yard will be quite interesting this year... to say the least.

It's all about progress and keeping up with it... that's the challenge!


No comments:

Post a Comment