Sunday, March 6, 2016

Back At It AND... I'm Touching the SINK!

After a 5 month hiatus, I'm back at it. Ripping things out and making my home...truly mine. I'm so proud of this little beauty! And proud of myself. 

This weekend marks the second "change" I've made since I moved in. I changed the main floor bath color in November because I just couldn't stand it. I also put in a soft close toilet seat (it's the little things, people!). I've yet to finish the floor, but soon! I have my first house guests coming in April and I'm so excited!! They'll be using that bathroom so I really do need to get it done. Even family deserves a pretty floor!

The reason I restarted demo was, in part, to get the tub "fixed". Something touched it, or bled through, after the initial re-plating.  So when Gregg from AAA Electrostatic Painting came to assess the fix (back in October) we talked about the prized kitchen sink. He gave me a price painting it in place and a price taking it out. Something to think about. Initially, I figured I'd do it in place. Even though it was a bigger hassle (think taping off the entire kitchen and staying out of the room for 36 hours).

But...after trying to hand wash dishes with a trickle of hot water (I swear I could spit harder!) for 5 months, I decided that something had to be done. I also realized that I had some main drain issues and the plumbing to the sink was the only plumbing that hadn't been updated. Definitely something to consider. 

So this weekend, I had the sink removed, I cleaned it up and...I'm without a kitchen for at least 10 days. Having lived through a reno before, I'm pretty sure I'm looking at longer, but I'll deal with it. As long as I don't have to travel for work!!

93 plus years of...ick
Here's the initial removal. And a little demo (which I did myself!). I can't wait to see the new paint job and the new faucet. So excited!!


The first wall I've every demo'ed!









I also had 8 outlets changed out. The old plugs were wiggly and 2 prong! I also had a new outlet put in my office, which will help with the lack of plugs for the computer, wifi, lights etc. These were things I didn't think about when the house was empty and unpainted. As soon as I put furniture in, I knew I had "old home" electrical issues. However, it wasn't as time consuming as I thought. 

As we move into spring, my list consists of windows and dealing with the 1970's storm windows, the windows in the new master suite and "dressing room" may need replaced and finally, FINALLY, I'll be able to start hacking back the horrible bushes that have taken over the front of the house. Yep... I have a bit of cabin fever!!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see the sink when it is back. Great job on the wall demo!!

    ReplyDelete