Saturday, October 3, 2015

Day 73 - 75 Ode to a Bathroom

I remember waaaayyyy back, about day 5, when one of the construction crew said to me, "It's going to feel like it's taking forever. And then one day, it'll go so fast you won't believe it, it'll be done."

Well, that day has arrived, folks. 75 days into this project and I am well and truly amazed by how far we've come. Not only my own work in the kitchen, but the painting my friends accomplished, the attic renovation, the hardwood floor refinishing and now the main floor bath.

I walked into the house on day 75 and was literally speechless.  ME. Speechless! I know I griped about having to pick out paint, and pick out tile and grout and faucets and lights and blah blah poor me. But I had no idea the impact these things would have on my little 1922 Craftsman. This poor house was soooo run down. It hadn't felt the love in years. I was giving it my all to see it return to it's former glory. So I present to you what I consider to be the crowning glory of my design skills.  Ok, not really, but I DID pick all this shit out.

Before:  Can we just say GROSS. I mean, besides the fact the the previous owners had left personal items in the medicine cabinet. The pipes for the faucets leaked from the wall to the sink (I'm sorry I couldn't save you, sink) hence the white and green buckets underneath it. The shower surround was poorly installed, and had gross icky stuff on it (I honestly refused to go near it and I'm not typically grossed out by much.) Amazingly, the original window and frame had very little damage, making  me question just how often the shower was used. But at any rate, gross is probably an understatement.



















And now for the big reveal (I know the floor isn't clean yet, and the tub isn't refinished either, but...who cares, this is freakin' awesome)


I win. I win. I "decorated" something. And it's so good the contractors' office manager brought his girlfriend to the house to see it! This bathroom impressed a MAN! I WIN!

Ok, so, technically, the water still isn't on, I haven't flushed a toilet in the house, EVER. But COME ON. Is this not a thing of beauty? Look at that rain type shower head. IT'S SQUARE! Look at that window! Look and drool over that tile job! With its 2 built in shelves and its rockstar gray grout that draws the eye from the floor. I walked into this bathroom and thought... "holy shit, I want to SHOWER in here... NOW!"

Too bad it's for my eventual guests. I could always just pretend I didn't have any room for them to stay....

*Note... I'm not sold on the color. And it's my fault. I fat fingered the paint code when I wrote the email with the paint colors.  Clearly, attention to detail is crucial with paint colors, or you get robin's egg blue. Not acceptable.

**PS Note... OMG I'm so excited!

***PPS Note...yeah, we're going to fix that horrific white p-trap thingy. Seriously. I am NOT going to have plastic screwing up my chrome design aesthetic (listen to me!!!)

2 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL!! What color was the paint supposed to be??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lighter blue with more gray. The waisscoting will be a darker blue of the same gray/blue color scheme, maybe, when I get to it....

      Delete